How to choose the right size dog bed for your dog or puppy?
Why is it so important to buy the right size dog bed?
A dog bed that’s too small:
- Isn’t comfortable for your dog
- Can cause muscle pain, because of the lack of support
- Can make it harder for your faithful friend to have a good night’s sleep
A dog bed that’s too large:
- Your dog will feel less secure
- It takes longer for a large bed to get warm, while many dogs prefer to cuddle up in a nice and warm spot
How to measure my dog for the perfect fit?
The best way to determine the ideal size of the dog bed is to measure your dog from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail when he’s standing upright. Add another 15 to 30 centimetres. This is the ideal internal length of the dog bed, as no two dogs are the same length. Therefore, measuring your dog is important and the best way to do it.
Is your dog difficult to measure or is he still growing? Then you can take into account the following standard sizes:
Large dog breeds up to 35 kg
(e.g. Labrador, golden retriever … )
Or for large dogs that like to lie stretched out, a dog cushion of at least 100 cm by 70 cm is ideal..
The largest dog breeds from 35 kg
(e.g. Bernese, Great Dane … )
Or for large dogs that like to lie stretched out, a dog cushion of at least 120 cm by 80 cm is ideal.